Isaiah 59:1-2 Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: 2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Iniquity is unfair treatment unto God and a fellow brethren. It is an act of wickedness to engage in things we know we wouldn’t be happy if we were at the receiving end. God hates iniquity and that is what separates us from Him. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise (Luke 6:31).
Anything not done unto God is sin, and being a jealous God, He will destroy every of such things that wants to take His place in our lives. This is one of the reasons why people suffer terrible things in life – they have made their beauty, their business, career, loved ones, investments, etc. to take the place of God by giving it greater attention than necessary. For example, being late to church services because of beauty make-ups, loving a child so much that you hardly discipline or reprimand the child, loving your career or business so much that you hardly read the Bible, loving your money/investment so much that you hardly support the work of God etc. This is iniquity in the sight of God and He will suddenly cause those things to crumble (1st John 5:17).
The Sins of Iniquity. They include:
- Cheating your neighbour.
Pride is the mother of the sin of iniquity. Iniquity unto God includes reminding him of how you have been keeping his commandments, paying your tithes, helping the poor/needy, living a righteous life, buying gifts for the pastors, contributing to church growth and expansion of the gospel, and every of such excuses we bring unto God, forgetting that our righteousness is like a filthy rag before God (Isaiah 64:6).
Lucifer fell because of the sin of iniquity when he started coveting the worship meant for God (Isaiah 14:12-14) and started allowing thoughts of being the greatest to fester in his heart (Ezekiel 28:15-18). This happened because:
- His beauty entered his eyes (Ezekiel 28:13), the carbuncle stone made his body to glitter and very beautiful.
- His wisdom became corrupted (Ezekiel 28:17). He was using his wisdom to achieve things outside God’s will. He hated the ways of God.
- He was the sanctuary of God (the covering or body which God used) but he corrupted the sanctuary and God left him immediately (Ezekiel 28:18).
Why People are Proud. People are proud because of the following:
- Because of their wisdom.
- Because of their body structure.
- Because of their wealth and skills.
- Because of their reputation in the society.
The knowledge needed to live above this sin are:
- We should know that our bodies belong to God (1st Corinthians 6:19).
- We should know that our wealth belongs to God (Luke 18:22).
- Everything we have in this life belongs to God (1st Corinthians 4:7).
- Don’t boast with your intelligence or good works (Proverbs 27:1).
May the lord give us the grace to live above pride and embrace humility daily.