What is a Soul Tie?
The Bible speaks of what is today known as soul ties. In the Bible, it doesn’t use the word soul tie, but it speaks of them when it talks about souls being knit together, becoming one flesh, etc. A soul tie can serve many functions, but in it’s simplest form, it ties two souls together in the spiritual realm. Soul ties between married couples draw them together like magnets, while soul ties between fornicators can draw a beaten and abused woman to the man which in the natural realm she would hate and run from, but instead she runs to him even though he doesn’t love her, and treats her like dirt.
In the demonic world, unholy soul ties can serve as bridges between two people to pass demonic garbage through. I helped a young man not too long ago break free from downright awful visitations from demons, all due to an ungodly soul tie he had with a witch. The man was a Christian, and the only thing that allowed her to send demonic torment his way, is through the soul tie. Other soul ties can do things such as allow one person to manipulate and control another person, and the other person is unaware to what is going on or knows what is going on, but for no real reason, allows it to continue and feels helpless. The tie can be so strong that the victim can fall sick and remain bound by the evil projections of the other party.
How soul ties are formed:
Sexual Relations: Godly soul ties are formed when a couple are married (Ephesians 5:31, “For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.”), and the Godly soul tie between a husband and the wife that God intended him to have is unbreakable by man (Mark 10:7-9). However, when a person has ungodly sexual relations with another person, an ungodly soul tie is then formed by that act (1 Corinthians 6:16, “What? Know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? For two, saith he, shall be one flesh.”). This soul tie fragments the soul, and is destructive. People who have many past relationships find it very difficult to ‘bond’ or be joined to anybody, because their soul is fragmented.
Close Relationships: King David and Jonathan had a good soul tie as a result of a good friendship (1 Samuel 18:1, “And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.”), but bad soul ties can form from bad relationships as well. Idolizing somebody can cause a bad soul tie. I have heard too that you can create a soul tie with a rock group by becoming obsessed with their music. Which explains the strong pull towards certain music that seems almost irresistible. Actually, as you listen to someone’s music of read any book written by an author, it is considered spiritually as sex with the person (NOT the physical expression of mating but a spiritual mingling of your spirit with that of the author). This is why books, movies, music can have an effect on someone’s ideologies, psych and mannerisms. This is more pronounced when you read spiritual books because every of such books usually has spells upon them, meant for whomsoever would open them to read, even the Bible has such (Revelation 22:18-19). As you read spiritual books, your spirit becomes bonded with the spirit to whom such a book is dedicated, and they use that as a channel to enter your life and do havoc.
Vows, Commitments and Agreements: Vows are known to bind the soul (Numbers 30:2), marriage itself consists of vows and binds the two people together (Ephesians 5:31). It is therefore better not to vow, than to vow and not fulfil the vows. Therefore I have little reason to overlook the concept of vows or commitments as being a means to create a soul tie. This is why breaking a vow, commitment or agreement can lead to various levels of disasters in a person’s life depending on the circumstances upon which such a vow was made in the first place.
How to break a soul tie:
1. If any sins were committed to cause this soul tie, repent of them! Fornication is perhaps one of the most common ways to create nasty soul ties.
2. If gifts were given to you by the other person in connection with the sin or unholy relationship, such as rings, flowers, cards, bras, etc. I would get rid of them! Such things symbolize the ungodly relationship, and can hold a soul tie in place. If you are still friends or in a relationship (just now it’s no longer an ungodly relationship), like say a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, except you’ve repented of and forsaken the unholy practices you used to do in your relationship, then I don’t feel it is necessary to destroy all the gifts and things that you have been given. I would still encourage you to get rid of anything that symbolizes the ungodly practices in the relationship though, such as if a guy gives a girl a bra and panties with his initials on them during fornication. I wouldn’t encourage you to hang on to such things that symbolize sin or that are wrong to give each other before marriage. Things such as flowers and love letters given during an adultery should be destroyed.
3. Any rash vows or commitments made that played a part in forming the soul tie should be renounced and repented of, and broken in Jesus’ name. Even things like “I will love you forever”, or “I could never love another man!” need to be renounced. They are spoken commitments that need to be undone verbally. As Proverbs 21:23 tells us, “Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.” The tongue has the ability to bring the soul great troubles and bondage.
4. Forgive that person if you have anything against them. You must forgive them so that God can also forgive you.
5. Renounce the soul tie. Do this verbally, and in Jesus’ name. Example, “In Jesus’ name, I now renounce any ungodly soul ties formed between myself and ______ as a result of _______________ (fornication, etc.).”
6. Break the soul tie in Jesus’ name! Do this verbally using your authority in Jesus. Example, “I now break and sever any ungodly soul ties formed between myself and _________ as a result of ______________ (fornication, etc.) in Jesus’ name.”
7. Fill your mind the word of God by reading your Bible daily. Read at least 5 chapters/day (as a challenge), such that in cases were the spirits behind the soul ties try to play with your mind, you’d have some scriptures to rebuke them with.
8. Believe in your heart that you are now a new creature in Christ Jesus, old things are passed away and behold all things are become new. Live righteous holy life.
9. In severe cases where you keep having assaults in your heart concerning those ties, go and meet a true man of God; expose the whole secrets to him and he’ll guide you and pray with you for the breaking of those demonic bonds; deliverance sessions might be recommended in some cases as the Spirit of God leads. The demons who maintain those soul ties don’t like to be exposed through confession, but once that is done, the light of God shines and they flee.
10. Try not to fall into the same trap of the devil again. Flee from every appearance of sin.